Pages

Discovery Health - maternity ward

Thursday, April 15, 2010 
Waking up this morning, I channel surfed to Discovery Health and a show about mother about to give birth. I had found it interesting as it was focusing all different types of high risk pregnancies from young mothers to babies born with some sort of medical emergency. So very interesting. I never usually get caught up in shows like these. A- because it reminds me how I'm so alone in this world when it comes to this topic and B- it makes me appreciate my future choice of motherhood that much more.

A particular story did touch me. It was about a mother of 44, who is about to have her 2nd child 21 yrs after her first. Yes, I know. Wow. Her daughter was there, with her daughter (granddaughter), husband was unbelievably amazing and the doctor, was like no doctor I have ever encountered in my life. (It would be this demeanor that I wish I had encountered with my parents for so many occassions.) The delivery seemed to go well (tv editing, you know how it is) the husband was translating for the wife during the times that she really needed support. It was very sweet to see his calming manner and his serene touch walking his wife through every step, you would have thought they had done this just yesterday and not 21 years earlier. The nurses also were impressed with his caring of his wife and how in control and patient he was while being the support that she needed. Of course everyone was nervous, she was considered a high risk case, anything can happen.

The delivery went fine. Everyone cried. The doctor was commenting on how he couldn't imagine doing anything else, when all of a sudden the doctor congratulates the father. The father in turn speaking in his clear English with a bit of an accent says, "Life is precious and full of priceless things. This was priceless. Although I don't have much money I wanted to give you this to say thank you for what life you have given us is just priceless." Of course I'm paraphrasing what he said, but this left the doctor speechless as he received the two yellow-red mixed roses in a small bottle with water. He was trying to say thank you and just became overwhelmed and was speechless again. They show him reading a card, which I'm assuming is a thank you card to the doctor, and he says again that he was so touched....

My eyes filled with tears and it just made me happy. Terribly happy and terribly sad. I realized that I'll be alone in this journey. Kids, rearing, caring, steps, etc....and my parents won't have their hand in it.

I always mention to people, those whom I have just met, to appreciate their families, no matter the stressors or tensions, never really telling them why.

I'm thinking I should stop watching these shows while channel surfing. lol. There has to be some bad reality tv on.....somewhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Note to Self. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by Simply WP | Solitaire Online