Pages

People Lacking People Skills

Saturday, February 5, 2011 
A simple observation.
I, am of a minority descent. Actually, many individuals are of a minority descent. Therefore, being raised in an environment where it is customary to see many races I was a bit surprised when while checking out at a grocery store, the cashier had initially approached me as unable to understand the spoken word. At first I thought, well, maybe she thinks I'm deaf? Second I thought well, people aren't really chatty at the check out now are they? But finally it dawned on me it was because apparently to her, I was a bit out of sorts and not quite fitting into the "blandness" of the surroundings (if I could be so daft to say!) at this time. To her surprise, I was polite, nice and courteous and she smiled and wished me a nice weekend. To her she was behaving cordially, to me it reminds me just how vast this country is in interactions and "first impressions" if you will. As much as I would like to say that I have never been bothered by this before, it's becoming more and more increasingly obvious that I'm "feeling" this more now that I am removed from where I grew up. Odd, how the world has advanced, yet not so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Note to Self. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by Simply WP | Solitaire Online